It’s Tuesday, and in 3 days I turn 33.
Last year, I started age 32 by making a list of reasonable things that I wanted to accomplish in the next 365 days. Let’s take a look at last year’s List of 10 Before 33:
- Reach goal weight – NOPE
- Pay off car – Done; except instead of paying it off, I bought a new one, although it does have a smaller monthly payment. Does that really count?
- Go to Africa – Done & it was AMAZING
- Finish a triathlon – Done!
- Get pregnant – NOPE
- Last Christmas in childhood home – Done. Well, we went to my parents’ place for Christmas, but they haven’t sold the house yet, and I have no idea if they really will…
- Graduate with MBA – Done! Woot, woot! I’m a smarty-pants!
- Go skydiving – Done! Awesome.
- Horseback riding lessons – Nope. I need to be below goal weight to do this, sadly. So not meeting goal 1 = not meeting goal 9.
- Stand-up paddle boarding – Done. And frankly, I didn’t like it much…
So now I’m thinking of things that I want for my life before I’m 34:
- Get pregnant.
And, pretty much that’s where I stop. No pressure or anything…
If I do get pregnant, I won’t hit goal weight. But it’ll be awesome anyway, so I don’t much care. And I certainly can’t do horseback riding lessons! Ha! I don’t want to include any travel-related goals, because again, that will change if we do get pregnant. I hate that I can’t make plans because I’m making plans for something else that I want. This is completely new to me!
Last year, I just kept planning, paying for triathlon admissions, etc., because I knew it might be a long-shot that I’d be preggers by now. But I’m kind of an overachiever (can you tell?), so I figured that I’d just not compete, because in the back of my mind, I would (OF COURSE) get what I wanted, and have a bun in the oven. Oh, how foolish the human mind is ***shaking fist to the heavens***.
So, yeah. I KNOW that things like this aren’t on my own time scale. I’m not that self-absorbed. But still — this is new territory for me.
So, now what? New approach! I’ve decided to focus on things that make me who I want to be — the chica that I pretend I am, but really, I’m just fibbing about it. These are a bit more general than goals — more like aspirations, I suppose:
- Stop biting fingernails. Seriously this time. And forever. Geesh.
- Have more empathy.
- Exercise, doing things that I enjoy.
- Plan my meals & grocery shop based on those plans.
- Eat the things that I should be eating. Skip those things that I shouldn’t.
- Get organized. I’m a mess. I try really hard to do this, then abandon, then start over.
- Stick to a budget!
- Upload photos (enhanced versions!) within 2 weeks of taking the pictures.
- Take more pictures!
- Knit a blanket; Crochet a blanket.
- Keep the house tidy; vacuum once a week (at least).
- Send birthday/anniversary cards BEFORE someone’s birthday/anniversary.
- Be more creative.
- Go to more “Arty” things – galleries, museums, plays, performances.
- Go visit friends & stay in touch with people.
- Be on time.
- Floss & wear my retainer.
- Wash my face before bed.
- Get ready for work: make-up & hair done & dried. No more going into work like a zombie. It’s not good for my promotion possibilities.
- Take the dogs for walks. Daily.