Oh, the NY Giants just scored another touchdown against my beloved GB Packers. Harrumph.
Let’s see, what’s been happening in TresLaLa land?
- I have stayed within my calorie target every day this month!
- I have earned 3 prizes this month (given TO me BY me) for staying within my calorie targets: 1) I’m allowed to buy coffee & teas at cafes in February (key, because I’ll be on vacation!); 2) 20 songs or 2 albums on iTunes; and 3) New perfume! (My other 2 perfumes BOTH broke on our way to New Hampshire for Christmas, so I’m super excited to get a whole new scent tonight!) 7 more days of staying on target, and I get a new handbag! Woot! 14 more days, and I’ll also get to book my spa day at the Four Seasons (I have gift certificates, but am making myself earn the right to use them!)
- I earned a $50 gift certificate to Lululemon from winning a weight loss contest at the gym at work. Their clothes won’t fit me, but their gym bags and yoga mats are awesome.
- I joined the South Coast Aquatics Masters program through April 30 and did my first swim workout in 4 months yesterday!
- I rescheduled LASIX surgery, and I’m having that done on Wednesday! Gulp!
- I finished all 4 of my Pilates Plus classes – and I’m never, ever doing another Pilates Plus class (although it was better at this studio than at the last place I did it)
- I went shopping yesterday and got:
- A dark brown suit, complete with jacket, pants and skirt!
- A light blue sweater
- A grey sweater dress (I’ve been trying these on everywhere, and they all looked horrible until this one, which is amazing!)
- A black & white floral pattern wrap sweater
- Lots of necklaces & earrings
This week is going to be a bit of a strange one, what with Monday being off of work, and having the surgery on Wednesday. Planning on swimming tomorrow morning (super early), come home, shower, and take a nap, then head down to LA to go to a museum with the hubby. Dinner tomorrow is out at a place called Steingarten. I have an Open Table meal deal there that expires this week. So that’s the plan (breaks with my vow not to eat out in January, but I also refuse to waste money!).
Tonight we’re meeting some friends at the movies to see The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I’ve read all 3 books, and seen all 3 Swedish movies. The movie is going to have to be pretty awesome to make it worthwhile to remake it, in my opinion.
And, with all of this, I made some Quinoa Chili! I didn’t take any pictures of it (but trust me, this recipe is a winner!). I’m not sure where it originally came from – I got it from someone on CalorieKing. My sincerest apologies for not having the original link!
Indian Quinoa Chili
Adapted from Maura at CalorieKing
- 2 Tbsp Red Curry Paste (found in the Indian food section of your grocery store)
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin Powder
- 4 cups Reduced Sodium Vegetable or Chicken Broth
- 2/3 c. quinoa uncooked (original recipe called for red quinoa, but color does not affect taste or texture)
- 2 med Sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 2 cups)
- 1 large Red bell pepper chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 15oz cans Great Northern beans, rinsed well
- 1/2 cup lite coconut milk
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (whirred it in my bullet blender for about 2 seconds to make tomato puree)
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a 4 qt. pot, add curry paste, cumin and a little broth. Mash the mixture and stir until smooth. Add the remaining broth, quinoa, bell pepper and sweet potato. Set over high heat and bring to a boil. Cover tightly, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes or until the quinoa begins to absorb the broth.
- Add the beans, coconut milk, cayenne pepper and tomato puree to the pot and stir to combine. Cook uncovered for 20-25 minutes until the quinoa is tender and the soup is thickened.
- Finish with freshly ground black pepper. Top with plain Greek yogurt if you need to cut the spice a bit (or want to add creamy texture).
SO good, folks! A nice heat/spice, but not overpowering. Would be REALLY good if you or someone you love has a cold – will clear out the sinuses!
And we have 4 sets of leftovers for this week. Yum.